Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life keeps on throwing them at us....



So today after my dad dropped me off at school, he had a car accident. I did not find this out until my mother came to pick me up after school. I guess he was driving and was behind someone who was turning and went to go around them and hit another car. The car he hit was either pulling in or backing out of a driveway and tried to get out of the way fast enough but failed to do so, causing my dad to hit him in the rear. I really am not sure about all the details, I know that there were two lanes going in one direction on the side of the road my dad was on, and I believe that guy he hit was also going in that direction.


Luckily it seems no one was hurt, and the police cited the other guy not my dad leaving our insurance out of it, (though when my dad called, they said that they would more then willingly pressure the other company if they took to long!!! I had to laugh at this, I love our insurance company sometimes. They are one of the best according to the last guy that fixed my moms car when she got hit a few months back.....)


My dad was driving his truck at the time and the only damage that we can see so far is the front bumper is hanging down on one side a little, a turn signal light is completely and utterly gone, and some denting, scratching and bending of some of the metal on the hood of the car.




Oh and did I fail to mention the fact that my dad tried to stop so hard that a break line also burst?? (Insert Sarcasm) The break line was older though so age might have helped that one. Yeah the petal goes all the way to the floor now....I am guessing that my dad drove home really slow and just down shifted and idled the entire way home...Unless he had some breaking power still. Right now the truck is sitting in our garage, (leaking fluid, that we are guessing is break line fluid) and it seems that my dad will drive my car for a while until we can agree with the other company where it needs to go to get fixed.

And that leads me into the whole reason for this rambling. It seems that car accidents are plaguing my family. First off almost a year ago now, my mom swerved to miss a animal of some sort on her way into work and hit a concrete stop sign in the parking lot. That took off a mirror and destroyed a rim on her side, plus some body work. She took it to a place in town that she knew from when she had to do things for the cars at Moen. Some of the same guys work there now as they did then. We got that fixed and everything was fine and dandy for awhile.

Then a few months later, my mom, sister and niece were in the car driving and got hit at about 50mph. They were in mid turn and the other person ran the red light. The impacted caused the car to do a 180°, causing them to go in the direction they were turning from. My sister hit her head and ended up with a small concussion. The front end passenger side was smashed in, lights gone, bumper shifted and half off, tire gone, and a lot of body work.

They almost totalled the Durago after the found out that the frame work was fractured. After much arguing on both sides of the line, with the poor guys from the body shop in the middle, it was decided to get a used totalled out frame from another Durago and attach it to ours. Oh yeah that sounds so safe! (Insert Sarcasm)

Then after that our old Van got hit while it was parked in front of our house. A neighbor who lives a couple of house down, slide on some ice as she tried to slow to take the curve and smashed into the vans rear end. That car was sooooo stuck that it took over 3 hours, a two by four and a crowbar to unhook her bumper from the vans bumper. The Van is old (15 years roughly) and rusty so we chose not to fix it, not that there was a lot of damage other then a bent bumper. I must say the other car got the most damage.....



So that leaves one car and one person in this house to get in an accident. Me. My car. Wow just what I want floating over my head....At least I know that out of those 4, only one was our fault. That offers some relief I guess. And now we get to do the insurance run around again, and argue for the truck to go to the body shop we know.

3 comments:

  1. You'll do fine Jess! Just be more than cautious. What insurance do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main group is Cincinnati Insurance, but unless something really big happens we deal directly with summers agency. They are the ones that send the people out and then the give the report to Cincinnati. They are a bit more local.

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez oh pete you guys have just had a boatload of trouble with your transportation! let's hope it doesn't plague you also!!

    i love you.
    i miss you.

    ReplyDelete